What To Expect When Building Your Infill House

If an infill house seems like an excellent option for you, but you are unfamiliar with the technology, use this guide to help you prepare for your very own custom infill home.

Why Choose an Infill House?

As populations grow, so does our need for more and more space, especially for housing and recreation. Even older homes are considered attractive options and are, in fact, gaining in popularity. A mature neighbourhood is a perfect place to build Edmonton infill homes because it allows you to combine a new home that meets your quality specifications and standards within a developed and unique community. Incidentally, this new build could potentially offer an excellent return on your investment.

Are You Ready for an Infill House?

To help prepare you for an infill home, here are some steps to consider.

Choose your location and preferred the home size. If you already have an area in mind, then the process of preparation will be shortened significantly. However, if you want to hasten the process, talk to a realtor who can help you zero in on the perfect location and lot size for your home.

When checking out potential infill lots, look for features that will have long-term effects on your home, such as the slope, the rear direction (west- and south-facing backyards are quite popular), and the presence of mature trees. Some cities require mature trees on the property to help prevent erosion, something that could affect your design plans.

If a front driveway is included in your design, look for electrical transformer boxes, fire hydrants, and boulevard trees. These features are typically found in more mature neighbourhoods. The issue with these features is that these could affect where and how you can build a front driveway. If your chosen lot already has a rear alley, it may be more challenging to build a front driveway because the City often encourages homeowners to access their garages from the rear alley.

Consider the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay. There are guidelines you are required to comply with if you intend to build in an older neighbourhood. There are, however, variances in your house design that Development Officers may allow when you apply for a Development Permit.

Building Your Infill Home

Once you have decided on where to build your infill house, you will have to do the following steps:

Design your home. At Parkwood Master Builder, you are assured that the design and style of your infill house are exactly what you want and need. Through experience and expertise, Parkwood Master Builder will work with you throughout the process, from the initial consultation to the actual build to help you realize your dream home.

Get Your Developing Permit. The developing permit will ensure that your design and lot specifications meet the local zoning requirements. The process itself could take a few months, depending on the type of property and build you have. Typically, you will be asked to provide documents, such as floor plans, outline drawings, lot grading report, plot plan, elevations, sections, and the like. Parkwood Master Builder will advise you on the matter.

If your property has an existing house that has to be removed to make way for new construction, Parkwood will apply for a Demolition Permit. If necessary, a Hazardous Assessment will be conducted, and any utility services will be disconnected.

A City Development Officer will review your application and inform you of any other requirement you might have missed or if the City has any objections. During this time, your builder may justify the variances in your application or make the necessary changes as required.

If your application is approved, you will receive a Class A Development Permit, which will allow the construction to proceed. However, should there be any variances, you will receive a Class B Development Permit. Neighbours within a radius of 60m from your property will be asked to review these variances. This process will require about 3 to 4 weeks. Neighbours may or may not object to your proposed development during this time. If an objection is raised, your application will be reviewed by the SDAB or Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. The hearing will last for about a month. The SDAB will decide whether or not the objections are acceptable.

Once you have been granted a Development Permit, building your infill home will commence. Excavation will be performed, and pouring for your basement will start. The process for the Building Permit will also begin and must be completed, so construction of your dream home can continue.

When designing and building your infill home, you will have the opportunity to be innovative, creative, and unique, which will help ensure that your new home will be a truly personalized structure that fits your needs and lifestyle in a community you love.